Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A house full of men

Yes, my house was full of men again at 7:30 AM yesterday! Dave, John, Andy, Tony, and more to come. Yesterday was the day that they would install my faucet, dish washer, stove, microwave, water and ice for the fridge, and disposal. At 10:45 AM, I get a call from Dave to say that the faucet that I bought didn't fit. He tells me that the threads aren't long enough to go through the counter top and have enough thread left to hook up the water. He indicated that sometimes with these "low end" (i.e., cheap) faucets, this is a problem.


So, long story short, I:

1. Cancel my 11:00 meeting.
2. Drive to Peabody Supply. They don't have any faucets in stock with the finish I want. I price out a stainless faucet by Danze - $201.
3. Drive to The Ultimate Bath - around the corner. They don't have anything in stock either.
4. Backing out of my parking place, I back right into a Honda Accord.
5. Call Liberty Mutual on the way back to Peabody Supply.
6. Place claim, buy faucet.
7. Drive home, log on to 1 PM conference call.
8. Hand faucet to plumber while taking conference call.
9. When conference call is over, go to talk to plumber -
10. He tells me that this faucet DOESN'T FIT EITHER. He says he has to grind down the nut (plastic) that they give so that it will fit. So, I say - well, if you are going to grind down the nut, please do it on the $75 temporary faucet vs. the $200 Danze.


What this means is that I didn't have a faucet problem, I had a counter top thickness problem. Which means I didn't have to do #1-6 above - no faucet, no accident, no problem. I posted on the kitchen forum to see what others said, and several have suggested that there is an extender for the flange, which would take care of this issue. Makes me wonder why this plumber doesn't know this.


On to the good stuff - we are almost done. Dave told me that my door would be in today, and they will probably be back tomorrow to install it. All my appliances are in and hooked up and working (as far as I can tell). I must admit, I didn't use them much. After the day I had, I opened a bottle of wine and Dawna and George came over and we sat on the deck and ate cheese and crackers and picked off a rotisserie chicken. And it was good.

Now, I know you don't really come here to read my drivel, so here are some pictures of my new refrigerator!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment